CAJUN GUMBO des HERBES
By Barbara Watson – Amazing Health Cookbook, Sweet, Savory, Simple
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp flour
6 cups water
1 Tbsp chicken-style seasoning
1 cup dry Soy Curls or Soy Shreds
2 cups seasoned tofu
1 bunch of scallions, with tops
¾ cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
½ cup green bell pepper, diced
15-oz can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 dash cayenne
½ tsp of salt or to taste
1 cup fresh or frozen okra, sliced
2 cups cooked brown rice
1) Combine oil and flour to make a roux in a heavy bottom soup pot. Brown this mixture on medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the color of peanut butter.
2) Stir in water and chicken-style seasoning, and bring to a boil.
3) Add remaining ingredients, except for the okra and rice, and allow to return to a boil. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
4) Add okra, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
5) Serve in bowls with a scoop of brown rice on top.
Makes 8 cups
(“Des herbs” means vegetable gumbo. Even the “chicken” in this version is a vegetable)