FARMERS’ MARKET PARFAITS
Forks over Knives
½ cup walnuts
1 ¼ cups rolled oats
3 tablespoons date paste* (we used Medjool dates, but can use any kind of dates)
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
SWEET POTATO CREAM:
2 large white sweet potatoes, halved (2 pounds)
2/3 cup maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups thinly sliced fresh strawberries (12 ounces)
1 cup fresh blueberries (6 ounces)
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Combine the walnuts and oats in a food processor, pulse to a coarse texture. Transfer to a mixing bowl, stir in date paste 1 tablespoon at a time until well combined, then stir in vanilla.
3) Spread the Crumble mixture on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then stir and bake for 10-20 more minutes, or until golden-brown and crispy.
4) In a covered pot fitted with a steamer basket over 1-2 inches of simmering water, steam the sweet potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Rinse sweet potatoes under cold water and allow to cool completely, then peel.
5) Transfer the peeled sweet potatoes to a food processor, add maple syrup and 1 tablespoon
vanilla. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add up to 1 more tablespoon vanilla, if desired.
6) To assemble the parfaits, line the base of 8 parfait glasses with half of the Sweet Potato Cream. Layer half of the berries over the cream, and top with half of the crumble. Repeat with a second layer of Sweet Potato Cream, berries, and crumble.
7) Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Yields: 8 parfaits
*NOTE: Can make date paste by soaking six dates covered with water and set overnight. Next day, remove pits if there are any, blend with a little bit of water till creamy. If need to add more water, just add 1 tablespoon of water at a time. Or you can purchase date paste already prepared.
“Dear Friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you.”
3 John 1:2
Healthy Lifestyle Center, 4300 North River Rd., Rogue River – Cooking Class (Rogue River SDA Church)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.rrsda.com